Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Current Update of Me. Now and then?

Dear fellow readers,

It has been quite awhile since the last blog. I am still constantly combating my fundamental darkness - Procrastination. I wanted to blog for quite a long time already since the starting of Semester 2 in January but tick-tocks it went and I ended up preparing food, drugged myself with Facebook, sending CVs, travelling around for both leisure and Gakkai activities, thinking impossible stuffs... imagining having a special someone beside me... talking nonsense...  I have a very 'weird' characteristics - I will blog in a certain period of time frame to update my current circumstances for both myself and also for those who wanted to understand how am I doing so far. Thank you for your concern.

Seeing photographs of my dear coursemates from UCSI University who graduated last June was really awesome. Loads of photographs, seeing those photographs, it means all of you are ready to embark for another crucial check point in your life. Congratulations to Linxin, Hui Hui, Wei Shen! :)   (Sorry if I have missed out someone)... But the same feeling goes to you! Here, I would like to wish you a great and an enjoyable working life ahead. For those who wanted to continue for their further studies please do so as study never ends as if Winter will always turns to Spring. You will always find something fresh, something new or perhaps somebody that will paint together with you for the rest of your life... Is it not amazing? Life is full of fun, surprises, energy, hope... ...!

It has been really quite happening these few months after Semester 2 at Scott Sutherland School of Architecture ended in June 2011. As you might probably have known that I am still currently waiting for further placement news. I would rather said this process of 'struggling' is somewhat very exciting but also discouraging in certain ways, it depends solely how I viewed this. Yet, there are alot of amazement and things to share with you.

There were quite a numbe of offers for me on the work placement. First, 'Sonspims & Bowrn' Architects in Edinburgh accepted me but no pay is given. Though they are quite a big firm in Scotland. Realising I could not afford the expenses to work for free so... That was happening at the end of June. Later on, I saw an email from RGU, it was the Conservation Summer Technical School organized by Historic Scotland at Stirling. I had decided to join this as it is about Building Conservation & Heritage which I am interested in. I had a session with Procrastination Devil and hence I missed the dateline for the application. It was closed! I felt a total guilt! I mean a total GUILT!

Despite two days late, I wrote the reason for my participation and why Historic Scotland should select me. I had written down everything and posted it later. To my surprise 2 days later, I received Historic Scotland reply and telling me that I was accepted to join the Summer School! Wow! Deep in my heart, I knew this was the protection of Shoten Zenjin. ;) I expressed my gratitude to Gohonzon. Needless to say, the Summer Course was really awesome. I shall post some photographs. We learned alot of the insights of Building Construction mainly on Construction, materials and little on design. But as an architectural students, this is really one defining point and I will always remember it. This Summer Course was a steering wheel for my direction for both career and study. Let me explain, during that week, we were introduced to meet professionals: Stonemason, Brick layer, Welder, someone who casts iron, etc...

During the demonstration work, they showed us their daily task and we were asked to join and do our part. I could recall seeing all of them, mostly already in their 50s still showed keen interest in their work and absolute attention on details too. There was a Stonemason, with glasses demonstreted his sensitivity in work and also attention to details. He was showing us the technique on chamfering the edge of the Granite block. At the first attempt, he did it but he said that was not perfect enough and he went for the second and the third attempt. We were so amazed with his seriousness and professionalism attitude. At that particular moment, I was so embarrased for myself that in the design studio the word 'Design' exists on everything but not the treatment on the materials itself. How careless I am. And now to my best ability, whenever I design or on the drawing board, materials treatment will be one of the priority concern. They are so prefessional that I feel a sense of guilt if my attitude towards design is still the same as before.









I met new friends across Edinburgh, Glasgow, Falkrik, Stirling. I am a person who really treasure friendship alot. I viewed this as a life-long benefit for all of us. It is not easy to have been given this chance to study in the UK, to have this opportunity to meet great friends across Scotland. This is not just a case of coincidence. It surely not.

Right, about the Job Placement hunting: As I could remember I have been sending out my Cover Letter + Examplar of Work to various architectural firms across the world I would say. In term of geography, the furthest one ever reached California, America. I have tried Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Hong Kong, China and some of the Europe contries. Interestingly, I have several offers from London but all offers no salary at all. Quite reluctant actually. Can you imagine this feeling as hope has been given but all coming back is either rejected or without no pay? It somehow very discouraging, but thanks really to Nicherin Daishonin Buddhism as I am able to stay strong in faitth. For me faith is the fundamental support one has. Without faith he/she will be a walking dead without soul~

I managed to presevere and again I received an email from RGU, that Highland Council has a post for year out student. Without hesitation, I phoned up Mr. S to enquire the details for that post. We engaged in a good chat. I submitted my CV + Examplar of works. Just before the Conservation Summer Course started, I was granted an opportunity for an interview with the Highland Council. I was so excited, really. I was brimming with high spirit while participating the Summer Course. After the course I went up to Highland Council, Dingwall office for the interview, we had a great chat, I would say a heart-to-heart dialogue. We discussed about study, work, family, culture, life, and a little bit of Buddhism. The interview / dialogue went for 1 hour... haha...

Anyway, after 1 week wait, I was not successful for that interview. But Mr. S was kind enough to reimburse me the expenses going down for the interview, though not much was only 35 quids but he showed his appreciation in a post to me. Thank you Mr. S. I will take your advice and hope we will meet again in the near future.

My dad visited me at Aberdeen. He was with a friend, Mr. Chia. Though the trip was so short but we did really cherish the time we had. And on this trip down to London, I might join him for the remaining of this stays in London before flying back on the 4th October.

Right, that's all for now, I am on the East Coast Service train from Aberdeen to King Cross London. Yes, I am going down to London again to 'smell' the architecture there and also of course to support a grand event the 50th Anniversary of Sensei visit to Europe. There will be 500 youths across the whole Europe participating the event! :) I am very much looking forward on that.

Have a nice day Readers,
Zhen Ron.

No comments:

Post a Comment